Lemon, garlic and oil go together wonderfully when roasted in the oven, especially when used with the right vegetables or proteins. I’m a big fan of garlic and lemon chicken, but sometimes I want something a bit lighter for a side dish or even just a snack. In comes asparagus, a wonderful vegetable that, when roasted with a little olive oil or butter and tossed in salt and pepper, becomes a delicious, roasted dish that’s just savory and salty enough. When you add lemon zest, lemon juice and some garlic, the flavor profile expands enough that it becomes a meal on its own.
I love making lemon garlic asparagus in the wintertime when I want something that has a lot of flavors to focus on and a nice, filling portion size. It’s lighter than lemon and garlic chicken or fish but still very filling, making it perfect for me!
Asparagus with Garlic and Lemon: Yum!
This lemon garlic asparagus recipe only uses a few key ingredients and is incredibly easy to make, taking only half an hour to prepare your ingredients and roast your veggies. I like adding a little bit of parmesan for a bit of salty, cheesy flavor that really brings the dish home.
With nothing but a lemon, asparagus, garlic, parsley and parmesan, you have the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners, and it’s something easy to make while you’re working on something else. Pair this lemon and garlic roasted asparagus recipe with turkey or chicken for a great blend of flavors and a well-balanced dinner!
- 1 pound asparagus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- Freshly grated parmesan to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare your ingredients: rinse the asparagus, then cut off the dry end of the stem (about 1 inch of the ends). Finely mince the 4 cloves of garlic.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the asparagus in a single layer along the baking sheet and scatter the minced garlic atop the asparagus.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus and garlic, then add salt and pepper to your preference. Toss or roll the asparagus until coated in garlic, oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the baking sheet with the asparagus into the preheated oven and roast for about 20 minutes, adding an additional 5 minutes if the asparagus is not roasted to your liking. Stir the asparagus halfway through roasting.
- While the asparagus cooks in the oven, zest the lemon by running a cheese grater across its skin. Collect about one teaspoon of lemon zest and set the zest and lemons aside.
- Remove the asparagus from the oven once they have finished roasting. Scatter the lemon zest and squeezed lemon juice across the asparagus, add freshly minced parsley and then grate parmesan to your preferences. Toss the asparagus to coat, then add additional salt, pepper and lemon juice to your liking.
- Serve hot and enjoy!