Thanks to seven days of rain, we are now featuring “freshly-washed” Fuji apples on the trees at Eckert’s. Wow, the sunshine sure feels and looks good today!! On my way down the driveway this morning, I stopped to pick a few Fuji while dangling out my car window. I was thrilled to find Fuji apples at peak sweetness and crunch – a little piece of Heaven on my way to the Country Store! I will definitely be picking more tonight because they taste amazing and store beautifully.
Fuji is the best variety of apple for long-storing. I love hearing stories from customers who have kept them in their refrigerator for months with a damp towel. This is a great week to pick and keep them on hand for the winter months (Warning: You might need to buy another refrigerator once you taste the Fujis.)
My morning picking experience inspired a lunch plan! Freshly picked Fujis are packed with crunch and sweetness making them a natural partner for a fresh greens salad. I adore this recipe because the dressing compliments the sweet apples and dried cranberries perfectly. Eckert’s bacon takes it up a notch with a hint of smokiness and the blue cheese appeals to my salty side.
I enjoyed this salad for lunch but it is also a tasty entrée salad. Kick up the bacon or add chicken to make it a meal. If you are a Fuji-lover, give this salad a try- sweet, salty, smokey goodness is in store for you!
Eat well this fall, Angie
- Dressing Ingredients:
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- Salad Ingredients:
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Fuji apples, cored and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped fine
- ¾ cup shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 6 oz blue cheese crumbles
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 4 slices of Eckert’s crisply cooked bacon, chopped
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jar. Stir or shake until well combined. Mix salad ingredients in a large bowl. Toss well with dressing and transfer to large serving platter. Serves 6-8.