Our pick-your-own veggie patch opened on the Belleville farm this past weekend and green tomatoes were the talk of the field. Our customers were exchanging recipe tips along with their favorite way to eat fried green tomatoes. Some folks enjoy them plain while others talked about BLT’s with them and some people even suggested topping them with goat cheese. Yum! Here is a recipe we have used many times in the Cooking Classrooom at Eckert’s. It is always well-received and easy enough to do as a full or half batch. Last night I made a half batch for Chris and I. Since I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to frying, he reminded me to keep an eye on my oil temperature during frying (350 degrees is the ideal temperature for frying according to Alton Brown). I used an antique Dutch oven because the taller sides kept the oil from splattering.
We enjoyed the fried green tomatoes as a side dish last night but I am planning to make them again this week with goat cheese and a dollop tomato preserves when we have company over for BLT night!
Eat well this summer, Angie
- 4 large green tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup fine-grind cornmeal or Jiffy corn bread mix
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp coarse kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- Slice tomatoes ½ inch thick. Discard ends. Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium-size bowl. Scoop flour onto a plate. Mix cornmeal, bread crumbs and salt and pepper on another plate. Dip tomatoes into flour to coat. Then dip the tomatoes into milk and egg mixture. Dredge in breadcrumbs to completely coat. In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil (enough so that there is ½ inch of oil in the pan) and heat over medium heat. Place tomatoes into the frying pan in batches of 4 or 5. Depending on the size of your skillet. Do not crowd the tomatoes, they should not touch each other. When the tomatoes are browned, flip and fry them on the other side. Drain them on paper towels. Makes 4 servings.
- Our Pick-Your-Own Veggie Patch is open Wed-Sun from 9am-2pm.