I was reviewing my Super Bowl party recipes last night and realized I haven’t planned to make anything sweet yet. Oh my, that would be a major party foul!! As I began visualizing my go-to party desserts, it hit me… apple nachos! Our homegrown Eckert’s apples will be gone by the end of January. They have stored through the fall and half of winter quite well. So, as a salute to the end of our bountiful 2014 crop of apples, I am planning to make Apple Nachos for Superbowl 2015. They are the perfect game-day treat for all ages.
I love this recipe because it can be made with your family’s favorite ingredients. I like to make ours with a drizzle of Biscoff European Cookie Spread (we are addicted to Biscoff at our house. It is so good on apples!!) . I thinned the spread from the jar with some milk and honey so that it could be easily drizzled on the apple slices. Then I sprinkled the apple slices with chocolate chips and granola.
The sky is the limit for options on apple nachos. Get creative with these topping variations:
pistachios, peanuts, almonds, walnuts your favorite candy bar, chopped granola marshmallows raisins, dried cranberries or other dried fruit
Options for drizzles- the stickier the better: chocolate syrup Stonewall Kitchen Gourmet toppings (microwave 45 second before drizzling) peanut butter (substitute for Biscoff and thin as described in recipe below) pure honey pure maple syrup
If you are looking for a quick, sweet treat for game day or any day, give this recipe a try!
Eat well this winter, Angie
- 4 large apples, cored and sliced thin (use a mixture of your favorite varieties)
- 7 oz (1/2 jar) Biscoff European Cookie Spread
- ½ cup milk
- 2 Tbs. Eckert’s Pure Honey
- 1 cup granola
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine Biscoff spread, milk and honey. Whip with hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add more milk if needed to thin. Plate apple slices. Drizzle Biscoff mixture over apples and top with chips and granola. Serve immediately.